Surin Islands snorkeling tour
Day trip by speedboat from Khao Lak or Phuket
Surin Islands snorkeling day trip
- North and south Surin islands
- Snorkeling at three different reefs
- Amazing beaches
- Moken sea gypsy village.
The beaches are beautiful and the shallow hard coral reefs are very accessible. It’s common to see black tip reef sharks. Turtles and eels can also be seen along with all the usual colourful reef fish. Your snorkeling guide should also be able to find Nemo for you.
Tour runs every day from November to late April.
You will be picked up from your hotel and transferred by air con minibus to the pier at Ban Nam Kem.
Guests staying in Phuket hotels will be picked up at about 6.00 hrs. Guests staying in Khao Lak hotels will be picked up at about 7.30 hrs.
At the pier check in, meet your guide, get fitted for mask and fins, grab a coffee and snack.
8.30 hrs: Speedboat to the Surin Islands. The journey time is about 90 minutes.
10:20 hrs: arrival at Surin Islands
- Snorkeling (2 sessions. Total snorkeling time about 2 hours)
- Looking for sharks (baby black tip reef sharks in the mangroves).
- Buffet lunch on the beach (Thai Food)
- Leisure time on the beach
- Visiting the Moken Village
16:00 hrs: Depart the Surin Islands and return to the mainland.
1730 hrs: Land transfer from Ban Nam Kem back to your hotel. Guests staying in Khao Lak will be back at their hotel at about 1800 hrs. Arrive back at Phuket hotels around 19.30 hrs.
*itineraries subject to change.
Prices from Khao Lak
Price: 3,900 baht per adult / 2,500 baht per child (4-12 years)
Price includes: National park fees, snorkeling equipment, snorkeling guide, picnic lunch (Thai food) on the beach, round trip hotel transfers*, accident insurance.
Group discounts (will be applied at checkout):
- 3-4 adults: 100 baht/person discount
- 5-9 adults: 200 baht/person discount
- 9 or more people: Please contact us for group rates
*Hotel pick ups and transfers: Free two way transfers are provided by shared minivan service from hotels in Khao Lak main beaches. Extra fees may be charged for other areas. Transfers cannot be provided from private addresses / airbnb’s.
Add 400 baht per person for transfers from Phuket hotels.
Restrictions: These speedboat tours are not suitable for infants 3 years old and under, or for pregnant women and the elderly over 70 years of age.
– 7 days or more prior to the package or tour date: full refund less bank fees.
– 3-6 days prior to the package or tour date: 30% of total price
– Within 72 hours of the package or tour date, or no show: 100% of total price.
Weather Policy: This is an all weather tour and still runs if it’s raining in the morning. Tours are cancelled if rough sea unsafe for small boats is forecast. The decision to cancel is made on the morning of the tour by the boat captain and the harbour master. If a trip is cancelled due to bad weather you can choose to reschedule or take a full refund.
What to expect
These Surin Island snorkeling tours are by speed boat and are available from November until the end of April. They include national park entrance fees, snorkeling gear and transfers from Khao Lak hotels. Transfers can be arranged from Phuket hotels for a surcharge.
There are fewer boats traveling to the Surin Islands than to the Similan Islands on day trips.
- The boats are not over crowded and the guides will try to avoid mooring near other boats to avoid crowds.
- The boats are a modern glass fiber design with new fuel efficient 4 stroke engines. They are quieter and cleaner than other boats.
- Life jackets are provided (kids sizes available). Accident insurance is included in the price.
- Mask, snorkel and fins are provided (many boats only offer mask and snorkel).
- Your guides will be in the water with you for supervision and to point out cool stuff.
Did you know?
The Moken are thought to have lived a nomadic life on the coastal seas of South East Asia for around 4,000 years.
There are now only around 2,000 Moken free roaming the Mergui Archipelago, down from around 10,000 15 years ago.
Pressures from a degraded ocean environment, government restrictions and the expansion of the tourism and the fishing industry have seen many Moken communities forced into a “civilized” life reliant on working in tourism or on fishing trawlers for survival.
The ocean roaming Moken of the Mergui Archipelago still spend most of their lives on traditional Kabang boats hollowed from a single tree trunk. These Kabangs have been shown to have exceptional ocean crossing qualities.
Moken children can focus underwater without the use of a mask or goggles. Their eyes adapt at an early age so that their pupils contract rather than dilate as most peoples do.
The Mokens have no word for worry in the language.
For more information on Moken culture have a look here: http://www.projectmoken.com/
Surin Islands overnight
2 days 1 night and 3 days 2 nights packages that include accommodation in national park tents, transfers, all meals and snorkeling excursions.