Khao Lak snorkeling recommendations
Snorkeling tours from Khao Lak to the Similan Islands and Surin Islands
Crystal clear water surrounding nine uninhabited granite islands. Popular with scuba divers and snorkelers. Biggest schools of fish, turtles, eels, hard and soft corals.
Beautiful beaches with viewpoints to climb to get some amazing photos.
- Similan Islands tour – take a speedboat tour that tries harder than the rest. The boats are not crowded and the guides are excellent.
- 2 day 2 night Similan Islands snorkeling liveaboard – stay overnight on a boat
The Surin Islands are great for beautiful beaches, healthy soft corals, baby reef sharks and turtles. Plus the chance to see the native Moken sea gypsies.
The Surin Islands are a less visited destination than the Similan Islands.
- Day trip by speedboat to the Surin Islands – snorkeling, beach and Moken village
- 3 day 3 night liveaboard to the Surin Islands, Koh Bon and Koh Tachai – fewer people and more chance to see bigger stuff like mantas and whale sharks.
- Camp on the beach at the Surin Islands – The cheapest way to stay.
Koh Bon tours
Koh Bon is a tiny limestone island about 20km north of the Similan Islands and part of the Similan Islands national marine park. It’s popular with dive boats because it’s a manta ray feeding and cleaning station.
The best way to go to Koh Bon is by liveaboard (better chance to see a manta ray) but a day trip is also available.
Khao Lak snorkeling tours are done by day trip boat (speedboat or slower dive boat) or on a longer liveaboard trip. Tour options include the Similan Islands, Surin Islands, Koh Tachai, Koh Bon and Richelieu Rock. These are the best reefs in Thailand with the most fish and the biggest fish.
The Khao Lak snorkeling season is November to April. That’s when the north east monsoon brings good weather, there are virtually no boats running from May to October, Khao Lak is very quiet during the summer.
More options from Khao Lak
- Other Khao Lak tours
An ever expanding list of things to do in Khao Lak and near by. Phang Nga bay, Khao Sok and Phuket are not far. You can trek and raft and kayak and camp.
Khao Lak tours >>
- Phi Phi Islands – a Khao Lak low season tour.
If you are staying in Khao Lak from November to April you are closer to the Similan and Surin Island national parks than to Phi Phi. Phi Phi is reached by driving to Phuket (1.5 hours) and then getting a boat to Phi Phi.
This is an option for you if you are in Khao Lak during the summer months of May to October when the Similan and Surin Islands are off limits.
Phi Phi tour from Khao Lak >>