“Hong By Starlight” tour
Sea kayaking in Phang Nga bay
The Hong By Starlight tour is widely regarded as the best sea kayaking day trip into Phang Nga bay. It’s for people who prefer more kayaking and less touristy stuff.
John Grey Sea Canoe pioneered kayaking in Phang Nga in 1989 and is still the standard that other tours try to copy.
- Starts late and returns late to miss the crowds.
- Includes lunch and dinner on board.
- Sunset in Phang Nga then sea cave kayaking at night.
- No tourist traps. Does not go to Koh Panyee or James Bond Island (for a kayaking tour that includes James Bond Island try Sea Canoe 4 U).
- Custom designed inflatable kayaks that can get into the tightest caves. John Grey has never had a kayak puncture, sink or capsize.
- Highly trained paddle guides.
- Top rated in Trip Advisor.
- Quality food freshly cooked (free range chicken, net caught fish).
- Transfers from any hotel on Phuket island. Private transfers can be arranged from Khao Lak.
This tour runs every day, all year round.
11.30 – 12.30: Phuket hotel pick-up
12.00 – 13.00: Arrive Ao Por pier and board the boat. A Thai buffet lunch is served on the cruise into Phang Nga bay, meet your crew and briefing for the day
14.30: Arrive at the first island and explore one or two caves and hongs
15.30: Return to the boat and move to the second island
16.00: Explore two more caves and hongs
18.00: Thai seafood dinner served buffet style during sunset. Time to make your kratongs
19.00: Return to your kayak after dark to loi kratong
20.00 – 21.00: Cruise back to Ao Por pier. Transfer to the minivan.
21.30 – 22.00: Arrive back at your hotel.
*Itinerary may change depending on tides.
There is no fixed route. Islands and caves are visited at the optimum time depending on tides.
Price: 3,950 baht adult, 1,975 baht child (7-12 years). Kids 6 and under go free
Price includes: Phuket hotel transfers*, sea kayaking gear, guide, lunch and dinner on the boat, drinking water and soft drinks, life jackets, dry bags, insurance.
*Free land transfers by shared minibus are provided from hotels on Phuket Island. Transfers can also be arranged from Khao Lak hotels for an extra charge. Transfers cannot be provided from private addresses or AirBnBs.
In the event of cancellation by you the following charges apply:
– 7 days or more prior to the package or tour date: 30% of total price.
– Within 7 days of the package or tour date, or no show: 100% of total price.
The minimum number of customers to operate the trip is 10 people. If the minimum is not reached all customers will be refunded.
Weather Policy: This is an all weather tour and still runs if it’s raining. The tour will be cancelled if the forecast is for rough sea unsafe for small boats. The decision to cancel is made on the day of the tour by the boat captain and the harbour master. If a trip is cancelled due to bad weather you can reschedule to the next available day. If you can’t reschedule we will refund you in full.